Well I have two shiny new t616’s in my possession. Unfortunately, getting my old number port over isn’t going to well. It appears this what happens behind the scenes when you try a number port:
- All the cell providers use a gateway run by the FCC.
- Requests to port numbers go through this gateway.
- A request is matched from the new service provider to your record with the old provider using multiple fields(name, account number, address, social).
- The match is done automatically, so if any data isn’t exactly equivalent for all fields the request will fail. For example a request for “JohnssSmith” will fail if the record with the old provider is “JohnsSmith”.
- The gateway only processes every 3 hours. So tracing down typos is a slow tedious process